1. If you don't already have one, purchase or borrow a good-quality bike that fits you properly. Riding the wrong size bike can result in severe injury, especially to your knees. A good bike shop can help you adjust your seat, handle bars, etc.
2. A road bike (racing or touring) or a mountain bike is acceptable. Road bikes go faster (take less work for the same number of miles), but you may be more comfortable on a mountain bike. Special, high-pressure tires for mountain bikes really help.
3. If you are thinking about riding a tandem (bicycle built for two), make sure it is a very high quality bike comfortably adjustable for both riders. Both individuals must have $500.00 in sponsorships (minimum $1,000.00 for the tandem).
4. Make sure your bike is in top condition. Check, or have your bike shop mechanic check: bearings, chain, brakes, wheels true, all gears work, crank, headset, lights (front and rear, required), reflectors (front, side, and rear; and pedals, ankles, or shoes, required), pedals, seat locks solid, good friction wrap on handle bars, tire condition and pressure. There will be some mechanic help available at the ride, but it is best if you start with your bike working well.
1. ONE large duffle bag for your clothes and extra gear. Put your name on it.
2. Clothing: Layers for all temperatures, wind pants and jacket, rain gear, bike gloves (required), helmet (required). Reflective material on clothing and helmet is recommended. You will be issued a reflective vest to wear outside clothing.
4. Bike equipment: Lights (front and rear, required), spare tire, tubes, patch kit, tire irons, frame pump, spare parts and bike tools (as you think needed), water bottles (or hydration pack— i.e. Camelback) (required).
5. We recommend that you put your name on everything.
Bring any filled-out sponsorship forms and donations you still have. Make sure all checks are made out to CEM.
Office Hours: M-F: 9a-4p
Connect with us:
Contact: p: 530-268-0877 | f: 530-268-9077 email us PO Box 1022 Grass Valley, CA 95945